Hot Topics – Trustworthiness of Scripture – 04.24.22
Pastor Zach Bearss
April 24, 2022
Connect: Has there been a time in your life where you have struggled with the trustworthiness of Scripture – what was that like for you ? What feelings did you have?
Has there been a question with Scripture that you have really struggled with?
Engage: Read 2 Timothy 3:
Zach talked about vs. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud abusive disobedient to their parents ungrateful, unholy, – Where do we see this in our society, where do we see this in Church?
Then vs 5 – having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. What does this look like in our society – how about church?
Many struggle with verses 16-17, All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man/ woman of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Why do think that is hard for us?
Apply: Also, Zach talked about Scripture being Reliable / accurate and relevant.
How would you navigate sharing this with someone who did not know Christ? Is there one of the words that you would concentrate more on than the others?
The bible is God’s letter to us – He has invited us in to study – not just for information but show us who we are and who He is. Do you experience His word as living? What does that Look like for you? How do you feel knowing that God breathed into these words.?
Where can you this week press into God’s trustworthiness in His word?
Sources for “Is the Bible Trustworthy”?
- Greg Gilbert, “why Trust the Bible?” Crossway Feb. 9, 2018 https://www.crossway.org/articles/why-trust-the-bible/
- The ideas of accuracy, reliablility and relevance of the Bible are answered in a succinct way in this video by the Canadian Bible society. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaeo19sQXw
- This short video from the Bible project episode 1 illustrates what the Bible is and how it came to be
- Josh McDowell “More than a Carpenter
- C.S. Lewis – “Mere Christianity”
- Tom Holland, “Dominion, How the Christian Revolution Remade the World”
- Various Authors edited by Wayne Grudem, Understanding Scripture; An Overview of the Bible’s origin, reliability and meaning.” (sorry about the numbering – could not fix it for some reason)