Proverbs: Lessons in Wisdom
Pastor Zach Bearss
July 31, 2022
The Wisdom of Friendships
Scripture: Prov.17:17, 18:1,25:17, 25:20, 27:9, 27:17 1 John 1:7, John 15:15
Connect: Who is your dearest friend and why are they so special to you? What makes a good friend?
Engage: Read the scriptures, how do these Scriptures sit with you? Have you had experiences with the people that show these qualities if you do not why is that?
Adults have a lot to learn from children about friendships. As you notice friendships of children what do you notice with children’s friendships?
Zach talked about 3 qualities of Good Friends
- Walk side by side – Proverbs 18:24
- You are going to become like your friends -Walking side by side, how have your friends walked alongside you? How have you walked along the side of your friends. Where do you think as a society right now, we are in friendships?
C. S. Lewis quote: Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives. What strikes you with this quote?
Walking with someone in a common purpose – Where are you working with someone for a common purpose?
- Good Friends give the best to you
- Proverbs 26:18
Cannot be flippant, needs to be honest and sees when people are hurting and in pain. Proverbs 26:1
Our phones are killing friendships and we do not have time for friends. We are too busy.
Where have you experienced someone giving the best to you?
- Good Friends encourage the best in you.
- Proverbs 27: 17
- Where has a friend encouraged the best in you? Where have you have had friends who have spoken hard things to you? What were both those things like for you?
- 1 John 1:7 talks about walking in the light – do you have friends that you can totally be honest with ?
- John 15:15,How do you experience Christ as a friend? Is it hard for you to see Christ as your friend? How could you develop that friendship with Christ?
Apply: How are you with friendships? How are you about being a friend? Where do you need to improve in being a friend? What is one action point can you do this week to be a good friend to someone?